Reiki can be used for more than physical healing of others. Because Reiki does not use personal energies, it can also be used to rejuvenate and recharge, and for personal healing on a physical, emotional, mental, or spiritual level.
Over time I have both found and developed some different Reiki meditations and exercises for personal use.
Reiki Breathing Exercise
1. Make yourself comfortable, either sitting down or lying on your back and close your eyes. Pay attention to your breath and follow its rhythm. Notice how it flows in and out.
2. Put your hands on your body wherever you feel drawn to or where you feel tension. Use your intuition to locate the spot in your body that needs relaxation the most.
3. Direct your breath consciously and repeatedly to this place. Imagine that your breath is the Universal Life Energy which flows through you. Let it collect and expand under your hands and peace gradually spreads from that place beneath your hands throughout your entire body.
4. After a short while (about five minutes) place your hands on another part of your body. Once again breathe into your hands during the whole exercise. You may find that your breath changes in some positions as the body stores memories and experiences which can now be awakened. It is not necessary to probe feelings or initiate stronger breathing. Just allow yourself to let go and to plunge into this feeling of flowing.
5. Move on to two further places on your body and charge them with energy.
6. Slowly open your eyes, stretch yourself, and return to consciousness. You will feel more relaxed, calmer, and more centred.
Other Uses for Reiki
You can use reiki energetically to charge and cleanse objects and rooms. Use the first symbol to help cleanse the room of negative influences. Use the second symbol to calm a room.
I find that using the first and second symbol in my sons’ bedroom before bedtime helps them to get to sleep easier.
It is also useful in hospital rooms.
As matter consists of condensed vibration, you can give Reiki treatment to even the most everyday things, such as malfunctioning cars, jammed locks, machines, and gadgets.
You can also reiki an object to be used later for sending healing. For example, Reiki a cotton cloth before using it to wrap a bandage.
Cotton balls work well for this too. I will Reiki cotton balls before dripping my aromatherapy oils on them.
I’ve also used Reiki on intangible objects. For example, I used the third symbols to stretch time once when I had 10 minutes to make the 15 minute drive to work. I didn’t speed and I was there with 2 minutes to spare.
Enriching food and drinks
Helpful if you have to eat out at fast food places a lot. Reiki the food before you eat it or while you are cooking it.
This simple Reiki exercise is a good way of replenishing depleted energy during the day. A few minutes spent will be rewarded with feelings of renewed energy and refreshment.
I do this to help me relax at night, and get to sleep when I am feeling wound up.
1. Find a comfortable place to sit or lie down and relax.
2. Put one hand over your Solar Plexus (third) Chakra
3. Place the other hand directly underneath, touching your stomach.
4. Just relax your hands and fingers together, close your eyes and let your mind drift or rest. No special effort is needed.
5. Stay in this position for 10 to 15 minutes. Afterwards you will feel rejuvenated and refreshed with vital energy.
When doing shamanic journey work with Reiki I will create a doorway to travel through by using Cho ku Rei.
If you cannot get to sleep at night for any reason, this position will encourage the deep relaxation you need in order to fall asleep without any problem.
I started doing this intuitively when I first learned Reiki. It was great for those times when I really needed a good 6 hours of sleep, but only had 2 to get them in.
I’d fall asleep using this exercise and wake up 2 hours later feeling as if I had had a full night’s sleep. The feeling generally lasts about 8 hours, though I have squeezed 12 hours from one sleep session. Afterwards, though, you end up feeling twice as exhausted, so I don’t recommend using it to squeeze a night’s sleep into a few hours too very often.
I tend to fall asleep in this position when I use this technique. I will use the symbols as well and will attach mental messages telling me that when I awaken I will feel revived and refreshed and that I will have had a full night’s rest.
1. Get comfortable in your normal sleeping position, either lying on your back or your side.
2. Now place one hand on your forehead and the other on your stomach. Notice your stomach rising and falling while you breathe. Set your intention that X hours sleep will feel like X times 2, or 3.
3. Stay in this position for about ten minutes, or as long as you need for Reiki energy to generate a feeling of deep relaxation, and you will soon fall asleep.
Reiki Healing Box
Using the appropriate Reiki symbols and intention, you can give healing simultaneously to several themes, people, and problem areas by using a Reiki Healing Box. This is any small box made of wood, cardboard, or any material. I prefer wood myself. The box can be used to send amplified healing energy (on all planes) to a person, an unresolved theme (perhaps an event from childhood), or a difficult situation.
Write the theme of your healing or the name of the person on a piece of paper and charge it with healing energy. You can use a photo of the person if you do not know him or her personally.
Treat each theme and each person individually and then put it, or the photograph, in the box.
Finally allow Reiki energy to flow into the box.
Give Reiki to the Healing Box every day for a week. After a week, reconsider the urgency of the themes once more, and, if necessary, recharge the box energetically.
Meditating with the Reiki Principles
Mikao Usui recommended saying these principles out loud twice daily.
Sit comfortably either in a chair with feet flat on the floor or in a lotus, or half-lotus, position. Cross your hands over your heart, or place in the gassho position (palms and fingers pressed together in front of the heart in prayer position).
Just for today
1) Do not be irate
2) Do not be worried
3) Be grateful
4) Work hard
5) Be kind to others.
“The secret method of inviting good fortune. The marvellous medicine for all sickness.
Every morning and every night, sit in the Gassho position and speak these words out loud in your heart.
For the evolution of body and soul, Usui Reiki Ryoho” – Mikao Usui
I find that repeating these as needed during the day is also very helpful.
- Reiki Refresher: Be Kind To Yourself (thehealingcenterbeverly.com)
- Benefits of Reiki in Work Related Stress Management (thoughtsonreiki.wordpress.com)
- Reiki Symbols As Medicine: The Art of Usui Reiki, Its Symbols and Its Role As A Healing Treatment (udemy.com)